Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Time

The years go by for us
And as I watch them go,
I know not what to feel.
All things have an end
Or so I’m told,
But what is the end?
What is any end?
As I watch them pass
I know, I won’t ever see them again
And yet I will.
The sane ones, sages
Of conventional wisdom
Dictate to us that we should be sad
As all things end,
We mourn our dead and
Weep for what won’t ever weep again.
But some wild thing may ask in defiance of the old rules
“when is an end not an end?”
And, bemused, the wandering wonderer
Answers, plainly, “always.”
They say time passes,
And many wish to return to what once was,
Not realizing that through that very wish
Their minds become their time machines
And a wellspring of emotion
Floods up through their soul,
As if, for just a moment, they were still there.
And were they not?
An end is not an end
When all that was will always have been
Never-changing,
Facts of existence, always existing
In the hearts and minds and souls that were
And are
That will be,
And always will have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment